The quiet brother of Southeast Asia
Vientiane is the capital and largest city of Laos. Located on the Mekong River, Vientiane is the country's political, economic, and cultural center. It is a city with modern and traditional Lao architecture. The city has a tropical climate, with an average temperature of 25°C and high humidity. It is known for its colorful markets, Buddhist temples, and French colonial architecture. While busy compared to some places worldwide, Laos and Vientiane are calmer than most of their neighbors.
What to do in Vientiane, Laos
- Visit Wat Si Saket: One of the oldest temples in Vientiane, Wat Si Saket is a great place to learn about the city's history and culture. The temple's stunning architecture and rich history will make it an unforgettable experience. This Buddhist temple is one of the oldest in Laos and hosts thousands of ancient Buddhist sculptures and artifacts.
- Relax at Buddha Park: Located on the outskirts of Vientiane, Buddha Park is a must-see for its stunning sculptures and gardens. The park features more than 200 Buddhist and Hindu statues, making it an excellent place for contemplation and reflection
- Explore Pha That Luang: This stunning gold-covered Buddhist stupa is the most sacred monument in Laos and a major pilgrimage destination.
- Take a Tour of the City: See the sights on a guided tour around the city and learn more about Vientiane's history and culture.
- Ride the Mekong River: The Mekong River is one of the most scenic routes in Vientiane. Take a boat tour and explore the lush riverside scenery and local villages.
- Shop for Souvenirs at Talat Sao: Known as the Morning Market, Talat Sao is one of Vientiane's oldest and most popular places to shop. Here you'll find various goods ranging from traditional handicrafts to modern gadgets.
- Taste Lao Cuisine at Restaurants: Sample the delicious local cuisine at one of the many restaurants in Vientiane.
- Enjoy Some Lao Beer: Relax and enjoy a cold beer at one of the many bars and restaurants in the city.