Venice of Vietnam
Hoi An is an ancient city on the central coast of Vietnam, located between Da Nang and Hue, cut through with canals. It is known for its well-preserved historic buildings, traditional culture, and stunning natural scenery. The city was a major port and trading hub during the 17th and 18th centuries and is now a popular tourist destination. The city's Old Town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, featuring numerous attractions, such as the Japanese Covered Bridge and the Assembly Hall of the Fujian Chinese Congregation. The former port city's melting-pot history is reflected in its architecture, a mix of eras and styles from wooden Chinese shophouses and temples to colorful French colonial buildings, ornate Vietnamese tube houses, and the iconic Japanese Covered Bridge with its pagoda.
What to do in Hoi An
Hoi An has two main parts, the famous Old town, and its beach. There are many things to do in Hoi An, Vietnam. Some popular activities include:
- Visiting the Old Town: Hoi An's Old Town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is home to many well-preserved buildings, temples, and houses. Be sure to visit famous landmarks like the Japanese Bridge, the Phung Hung Old House, and the Cantonese Assembly Hall. Visitors can take a walking tour to explore the historic architecture and learn about the town's history. The Old Town is lively in the evening and especially beautiful on full moon nights.
- Shopping: Hoi An is known for its tailors, who can make custom-made clothing and accessories at a reasonable price. Visitors can also shop for traditional crafts, such as lanterns, ceramics, and textiles.
- Eating: Hoi An is a food lover's paradise, with various local and international cuisines available. Visitors should try the local specialties such as Cao Lầu, a dish made with noodles, pork, and greens. And one of the most nationally famous bánh mì stalls is located in Hoian, named Bánh mì Phượng.
- Relaxing on An Bang beach: An Bang beach is a beautiful stretch of white sand and crystal clear waters where visitors can enjoy swimming, sunbathing, and relaxing.
- Visiting My Son Sanctuary: My Son Sanctuary is another UNESCO World Heritage Site and is an essential center of the ancient Champa civilization. Visitors can explore the brick temples and towers scattered around the jungle-covered hills.
When to visit Hoi An
Hoi An is a beautiful destination all year round, but the ideal time to visit would be between February, and April or a bit later in the fall, such as September to early November, when the weather is dry and sunny. During this time, the temperature stays in the mid-20s, and the skies remain clear, making it the perfect time for sightseeing and exploring the city.
Hoi An temperatures drop in the winter, so it might not be ideal for visiting the beach but pleasant to go around on foot or bicycle.
When not to go? Due to the heat, June, July, and August can be tricky to visit Hoi An. It is also when the city experiences the most rain and typhoons.