The 3 best workation destinations in Europe
The definition of workation is working while travelling. Workation is a portmanteau of the words "work" and "vacation," reflecting the concept of combining work responsibilities with the leisure and relaxation of a vacation. This trend gained popularity as advancements in technology made remote work more accessible and as the traditional work environment evolved. The COVID-19 pandemic accelerated this trend significantly, as many companies had to adapt to remote working arrangements, leading to a greater acceptance and flexibility towards working outside of conventional office space.
What makes a destination the best place to work remotely
A good workation destination typically offers the following attributes:
- Reliable and fast internet connectivity
- Co-working spaces or suitable environments for work
- Affordable living costs
- Pleasant climate
- Cultural and recreational activities
- Safety and accessibility
Here are the 3 best cities for remote work in Europe: Las Palmas, Tallinn, and Lisbon. These 3 cities have great public transportation systems, all belonging to EU/Schengen areas, making them easy to access.
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria stands out as a premier workation destination for multiple compelling reasons, making it the top choice for digital nomads and remote workers. Here's why it claims the crown:
- Outstanding weather: Las Palmas boasts an exceptional climate, often described as one of the best in the world. With comfortable temperatures averaging between 18°C (64°F) and 25°C (77°F) year-round, workers on a workation will find little to disrupt their sunny disposition or their outdoor plans, whether before, during, or after working hours. With this unbeatable weather, Las Palmas is also a top choice for European winter getaway destinations.
- Reasonable accommodation and living costs: On average, a studio or one-bedroom apartment might cost between €700 to €1200 per month, depending on the location and amenities provided. Renting a room in a shared apartment or house could range from €500 to €900 per month, depending on various factors.
- Reliable Internet connectivity: High-speed, stable internet is available across the city, with many co-working spaces offering top-notch connectivity—essential for a seamless remote working experience.
- Beach and water activities: Just a stone's throw from the Atlantic Ocean, Las Palmas offers an endless array of beach activities, from sunbathing and swimming to surfing and scuba diving. The city's close proximity to several beautiful beaches means that relaxation or adventure is just a short walk away.