Naumburg is a small town in the state of Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. It is located on the Saale River, about 40 kilometers southeast of the state capital Magdeburg. Naumburg is an important town of the UNESCO World Heritage Site "Central German Romanesque Road".
The town was founded in the 10th century by Emperor Otto III and was first mentioned in a document in 995. Naumburg was an important town of the Holy Roman Empire. In the 12th century, it became the residence of the Margrave of Meissen. In the early 13th century, the town became a member of the Hanseatic League. Naumburg was sacked by the troops of Duke Henry the Lion of Saxony in 1180, and by those of Emperor Frederick Barbarossa in 1181.
During the Protestant Reformation, Naumburg was a stronghold of the Lutherans. In 1539, Naumburg became